Version 3 is here

View notices from the admin and get help using the forum

Version 3 is here

Postby admin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:16 am

Version 3 is here. I will continue to add minor tweaks and upgrades over the next week, but the initial transition has begun.

What's new so far?
1) You can upload avatars - no more red boxes ;)
2) If you are in the middle of replying to a post and someone else replies first, it lets you read the latests posts before you submit your new post (in case you need to edit your post based on the latest info)
3) When you reply to a post it shows you the recent posts at the bottom of the page and allows you to quote them individually by clicking the quote button next to each post. No more copying and pasting by hand to add multiple quotes to your post.
4) The brides helping brides database has been greatly improved. Click on the link titled Referrals at the top right to try it out.
That's just the tip of the iceburg... and more updates will follow.

Enjoy!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Version 3 is here

Postby maygirl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 am

Wow! Thanks Liz! It looks awesome!
maygirl
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby admin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:55 am

jwhitter wrote:Thanks for all your hard work!

One more question for you...On the list of who is browsing the forum, I've noticed that some names are in italics (right now it Sarahenn and myself) and some are not. Does that mean something?

Itallics means that the person's online status is "hidden" however as a global moderator, you can even see the hidden users online, so that's why they're in itallics for you and invisible for non moderators.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ame » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Great job LIZ! My jewelry forum just updated to 3 also and I still have a lot to figure out.

One question--in PM's, when you hit "send" it goes to your outbox. Does it just stay in there til the person reads the message? I thought that's how it worked but I have not ever sent a PM on my other board.
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
ame
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Postby admin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:22 pm

ame wrote:Great job LIZ! My jewelry forum just updated to 3 also and I still have a lot to figure out.

One question--in PM's, when you hit "send" it goes to your outbox. Does it just stay in there til the person reads the message? I thought that's how it worked but I have not ever sent a PM on my other board.

Your assumption is correct... while the pm is in your outbox you can still edit it, but once the recipient reads it, the pm is moved to your sentbox and is no longer available for edits.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrsChad » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:16 pm

I am having problems with the pm and the avatar.

When I tried to send a pm I filled in the recipient name, subject and message. When I hit send however I get an error message stating that no recipient is defined. I tried a few times and it happened every time.

I also tried to change my avatar. I tried uploading from shutterfly, snapfish, flickr and my computer and I got an error message stating that the url is invalid every time.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby MrsChad » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Ok so I did get an avatar to upload from photobucket.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Postby admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 am

MrsChad wrote:I am having problems with the pm and the avatar.

When I tried to send a pm I filled in the recipient name, subject and message. When I hit send however I get an error message stating that no recipient is defined. I tried a few times and it happened every time.

I also tried to change my avatar. I tried uploading from shutterfly, snapfish, flickr and my computer and I got an error message stating that the url is invalid every time.

When you type in the name of the PM recipient do you press the add button to "add" that name to the list of recipients. With the new pm system you can send a pm to more than one person at a time. The box where you type in the name is just the first step to buiding the list of recipients, you need to press the add button to move the name from the box to the actual recipient list.

Also avatars have a size limit now of 124x155 pixels, if you try to upload or link to anything larger then that it will give you an error message.

HTH!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrsChad » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 am

I wasn't doing the add button on the recipient list so that must have been what was going on there.

I did size my image down when uploading from my computer but I could have been doing it incorrectly since I got my photobucket images to upload without a problem. Maybe I will have DH try to resize the image for me this week sometime.

Thanks for the help Liz!
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Postby admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 am

MrsChad wrote:I wasn't doing the add button on the recipient list so that must have been what was going on there.

I did size my image down when uploading from my computer but I could have been doing it incorrectly since I got my photobucket images to upload without a problem. Maybe I will have DH try to resize the image for me this week sometime.

Thanks for the help Liz!

I actually had a bug that I fixed today for uploading avatars... try it again and see if it works better now :D
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby applesauce » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for all your hard work, Liz! You spent a lot of time on this-- we can tell.

I guess there are a couple things I miss about the old site. I liked that I could click on a link and it would open a new window. Can I change something in my browser settings to affect this? I know about the right clicky thing, but it was easier before. Also, why is there no reply button in the post heading? You can do the reply with quote by hitting "quote" obiviously, but no reply w/o quote.

And because I'm not too savvy, what does, "Do not automatically parse URLs" mean?
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order as it should be.
applesauce
Level 12
Level 12

Wedding Date: Winter 2007/2008

Postby admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 pm

applesauce wrote:Thanks for all your hard work, Liz! You spent a lot of time on this-- we can tell.

I guess there are a couple things I miss about the old site. I liked that I could click on a link and it would open a new window. Can I change something in my browser settings to affect this? I know about the right clicky thing, but it was easier before. Also, why is there no reply button in the post heading? You can do the reply with quote by hitting "quote" obiviously, but no reply w/o quote.

And because I'm not too savvy, what does, "Do not automatically parse URLs" mean?

The reply button is still there... it's just moved... it's bigger than the quote button. Look at the very top and very bottom of the post thread on the left hand side. It's a bigger button then the individual quote buttons you see on each post in the thread.

Normally when you type a URL like:
Code: Select all
http://www.stlwed.com
into the post, it will recognize the fact that you posted a link, and convert the text into a clickable link. If you check the box that says "do not automatically parse URL's" it will leave the link as plain text (not clickable).
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seberu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:31 pm

On the Board Index page, in the "Weddings and Anniversaries of the Week", what do the numbers in ( ) mean?
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
seberu
Level 9
Level 9

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 pm

That's how many years they've been married. If you see a 0 then that date is their wedding day. If you see a 1 that's their one year anniversary, and if you see a -1 they are exactly one year away from their wedding. Make sense?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seberu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm

admin wrote:That's how many years they've been married. If you see a 0 then that date is their wedding day. If you see a 1 that's their one year anniversary, and if you see a -1 they are exactly one year away from their wedding. Make sense?

Got it! :D
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
seberu
Level 9
Level 9

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Forum Instructions and Announcements