Green Beans

Share your favorite recipes here

Green Beans

Postby lurinmichelle » Thu May 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Does anyone have a good recipe for green beans? I know I like them, but if I make them at home, they never seem to taste very good compared to when I have them at restaurants or at other people's houses so I just need to find a go-to way to make 'em!
lurinmichelle
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2010

Re: Green Beans

Postby mshrdlicka » Thu May 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Sautéed with bacon and onions :) my favorite way growing up to eat them fresh! We'd often make this the main dish in our house.

Maureen and Phil ~ 11-29-08
Kieran Robert ~ 7-26-11
Patrick Lennon ~ 12-11-13
Brendan Lyle ~ 12-11-13
mshrdlicka
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 am

Oh yes...bacon always makes green beans yummy...lol! Or, even just a little ham. I made this Lemony Green Beans recipe once - it was good but wouldn't pair great with everything.

I tend to be lazy with our vegetables and just steam them. Since DH has been cooking he made green beans once and I asked him what he did that made them so yummy. He just put a little smart balance and some herbs on it (like Mrs. Dash type stuff I think). I guess I shouldn't be lazy with my vegetable seasoning...lol!
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby AmyandBlake » Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 am

I made some a while back that were SO good, different than I usually made them but they were good. I roasted them wtih garlic, olive oil and soy sauce! (fresh ones, not the can)
AmyandBlake
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby lurinmichelle » Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks for the ideas! Bacon... of course!! It really does make everything better ;) But really, probably most of the ones I really liked had bacon in them.

AmyandBlake wrote:I made some a while back that were SO good, different than I usually made them but they were good. I roasted them wtih garlic, olive oil and soy sauce! (fresh ones, not the can)

This sounds delicious. I'm a roasted vegetable addict. Roasted veggies are my favorite food, ever since I started eating them that way. I've never thought to try roasting green beans I guess because I've never heard of them being cooked that way.
lurinmichelle
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2010

Postby svhlkmp » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 am

3 cans of French style green beans, drained
2 cups of bean juice and a little water in a separate dish
Fry 10 strips of bacon, then crumble over the green beans
In juice mixture, add a little salt, pepper, cubed onion, 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, and 1/2 cup vinegar. Bring to a boil. Then add 1 cup of sugar. Bring to boil. Pour over the beans and simmer for 1/2 hour.

svhlkmp
Level 12
Level 12

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby bride2009 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:36 am

Green beans, the staple veggie in my house. I used to boil them and then add butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Now, I replaced the butter with olive oil. On the days I feel like doing extra work, I'll do the bacon and onion. Adding a few drops of vinegar is good, too. I also added beef broth to them and let them simmer in that, as well.
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Postby MrsChad » Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 pm

bride2009 wrote:Green beans, the staple veggie in my house. I used to boil them and then add butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Now, I replaced the butter with olive oil. On the days I feel like doing extra work, I'll do the bacon and onion. Adding a few drops of vinegar is good, too. I also added beef broth to them and let them simmer in that, as well.

All of this exactly. My favorite way is with onion, bacon and beef broth.

On a side note doing the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic is FANTASTIC on fresh steamed broccoli.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to What's Cooking