Ame's Chicken Soft Taco Mix

Dinner (main courses: pot roast, lasagna etc.)

Postby ame » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Its great and filling as a dinner or lunch, but can also be an appetizer or dip in some cases. I’ve served it cold before with chips

Ingredients
1 Can Green Giant Mexicorn, drained

1 Can Libby's Organic Black Beans, drained and rinsed (you can use any brand really, Bush's or GOYA)

1 Can Rotel, drained (I sometimes use Mexican Fiesta or whatever, has lime juice in it)

1 small onion chopped up into little bits (use more or less to taste, I usually end up using 1/2 the onion, usually red or yellow vidalia onions)

1/4ish cup chopped Cilantro (dried or fresh, more or less to taste)

3-4 smallish red potatoes, cut up into little bits

2/3 cup of Chicken Broth---can replace with vegetarian broth

1 pkt of Taco Seasoning (I usually buy Old El Paso or Taco Bell, can use a vegetarian version instead)

1 6-8oz pack pre-cooked chicken strips in Southwest Seasoning (Tyson or Butterball are usually what we have here, they are in the meat section with all the pre-cooked salad strip stuff, you can also just cut up a few boneless skinless ones that you precook, and use a little extra taco seasoning)--can go without for vegetarian

1/2 of a lime's juice (cut a lime in half, squeeze it into a dish, more or less to taste)

In a skillet mix the broth with the taco seasoning til the seasoning mixes in and dissolves. Then add
the potatoes, cilantro, lime juice and chopped onion. Bring to a boil, stirring while it boils, then after 5
minutes, reduce heat to medium-high, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes til the potatoes soften.
Then add the chicken, rotel, black beans and mexicorn. Stir together well. Simmer covered for another 20
minutes til heated through and most of the liquid is gone (it will still have some, it helps keep it wetter).

You can easily make this sans chicken as well and with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

Serve on wheat/lowcarb tortillas.

This mix is about 100 calories (2 ww points--OLD points, I didn't figure out new points plus) per 1/2 cup serving. You should get roughly 12-14 servings out of this. It's WICKED filling.

BudgetFriendly, FreezerFriendly, idFriendly, LowCalorie, LowFat, PreCook, NoBake, Vegetarian --can be adapted to lose the chicken
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
ame
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Dinner