Structured Flats

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Structured Flats

Postby jennelled » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 pm

My office is casual - I could wear jeans and a tee with sneakers every day, but my style is a little dressier than that. I tend to wear business casual style clothes, just swapping out dress pants for dark or colored denim. Prior to this I always wore heels (with dress pants), but now I'm finding that heels are too dressy most days. I need some nice, structured flats I think? I've tried a few pairs from Target, but I feel like it's harder to get the right fit on flats. The cheaper ones I've tried have all felt too wide and floppy. :dontknow: I have a few pairs of more expensive flats, and those all run narrow, lol. My feet are pretty normal, but if I had to choose I'd say they are on the wide side. So it's weird that the flats I've tried were TOO wide!

I have a pair of leopard-ish round-toe ballet flats already. What other kinds of flats look dressy and will go with a lot? Should I try a pointed-toe flat? I'm 5'6" and wear a 7 1/2 so my feet aren't huge, but I always FEEL like they look enormous when I've tried pointed-toe flats in the past (although I love a pointed-toe heel). Help!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Structured Flats

Postby Mary K » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 am

I bought pointed toe leopard print flats from Target last year and I love them. I wear an 8 and I don't feel they make my feet look huge, but they aren't quite as "pointy" as some.

These are the ones I got, but I paid $7 on clearance for them last year:
https://www.target.com/p/women-s-drew-pointed-toe-flats-merona-153/-/A-50801842#lnk=sametab&preselect=50734690
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby k.linn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am

Mary K wrote:I bought pointed toe leopard print flats from Target last year and I love them. I wear an 8 and I don't feel they make my feet look huge, but they aren't quite as "pointy" as some.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-drew-pointed-toe-flats-merona-153/-/A-50801842#lnk=sametab&preselect=50734690
I have these same ones and love them. I've also had good luck with Jessica Simpson (I get them from Von Maur but I think Dillards carries her shoes too?) and Sperry. They're not structured, but I have several friends who swear by Tieks (I just can't pony up the money to try them out myself yet).
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, Hadley, and Malachi.
[url
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Postby neh0607 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 am

Anne Klein Sport is my go-to work shoe as I cannot wear heels for work. They hurt my feet too much. I find Anne Klein Sport to be super comfortable and they hold-up well. Here's some examples...

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/browse/anne+klein+sport/?No=0
~ Nora & Daryl ~ June 30, 2007 ~

neh0607
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby jennelled » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am

k.linn wrote:
Mary K wrote:I bought pointed toe leopard print flats from Target last year and I love them. I wear an 8 and I don't feel they make my feet look huge, but they aren't quite as "pointy" as some.

I have these same ones and love them. I've also had good luck with Jessica Simpson (I get them from Von Maur but I think Dillards carries her shoes too?) and Sperry. They're not structured, but I have several friends who swear by Tieks (I just can't pony up the money to try them out myself yet).

I really like those, that's exactly what I think I'm looking for! The black and maroon suede options are so pretty...and of course out of stock online and at every Target around me. :roll: I'll check out Jessica Simpson, and poke around the Target website to see if maybe they have an updated version of the flats and that's why they aren't carrying them anymore.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby Jacoby2Seelen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Every time I "accidentally" find me a pair of flats that I love, it happens to be from Gap. I don't know how I do it, but I see a color I love hanging on the wall, they are my size, and they are on clearance! ha It has happened to me at least 3 times now.
Trisha and Ric
November 12, 2005

Jacoby2Seelen
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall

Postby Carrie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Tieks ;)
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Postby Carrie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Carrie wrote:Tieks ;)

I don’t own any Lucky Emmies, but people rave about them.

My most frequently-worn flats are gray croc patent (Tieks), gold (cheapie brand), and my pointed toe leopard flats (Vionic). And I keep wanting a pair of camel flats but just haven’t bought any.

I might steer you away from pointy toe flats if you wore a 9 or larger at your height, but I think you’re totally fine.

Have you looked into loafers? I want a pair, so you should work on that ;)
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Postby durbaa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:43 am

I wear flats just about every day. I want a pair of Tieks so bad, but just can't bring myself to do it yet. I think the big reason is every other pair that have elastic that I've tried, have not been comfortable. Does the elastic bother you at all?
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jennelled » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:43 am

Carrie wrote:

I don’t own any Lucky Emmies, but people rave about them.

My most frequently-worn flats are gray croc patent (Tieks), gold (cheapie brand), and my pointed toe leopard flats (Vionic). And I keep wanting a pair of camel flats but just haven’t bought any.

I might steer you away from pointy toe flats if you wore a 9 or larger at your height, but I think you’re totally fine.

Have you looked into loafers? I want a pair, so you should work on that ;)

My mom has some Tieks, perhaps I'll borrow them to try out. I have no idea what color I'd want, though! The red patent looks fun, but I don't really wear red. :laughing: I also like the tortoiseshell, or copperhead...

My most worn pair are definitely my leopard-ish print (giraffe, maybe?) ballet flats. They're Tory Burch, but I bought them on a BST page and they don't have the medallion so they don't scream the brand. Love those things. I also have a pair of cognac TBs that are the classic style with medallion - but I wear those ALL THE TIME. Carrie, you need cognac flats!

I just bought a pair of J Crew seude pointed toe flats on a BST page yesterday. They're beige and I'm not sure it entirely works with my skin tone, but the style of shoe is exactly what I think I need. And they aren't crazy pointy like some of the current J Crew styles.

I keep seeing mules and loafers everywhere, and I just can't. I get that they're cool girl style (and I really do think a lot of women rock them!), but my style is sooooo feminine that I don't think I could pull it off. Unless they were a gorgeous, statement pair - like a deep burgundy velvet with embellishments, paired with black jeans and a black top? But then I couldn't wear them all the time, because they already made their statement. Ha ha!
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby jennelled » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am

Has anyone tried Rothys? They're made out of recycled materials and machine washable! Or something like that. They're still stupid expensive, though.
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby LizAnn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am

Have you heard of Rothy's? They have great reviews online! I bought a pair and had to send them back because they weren't the right size, but several people in my office love them. I exchanged for a larger size, and now those are too big. I think I should have kept the smaller ones because it was right after I had Cheska and my feet were still a little swollen. So I am sending those back for the other size again... :dontknow:

They are made of recycled plastic, but feel like fabric. I was skeptical, but they are actually soft. You would never know they were made from plastic. You can machine wash them and they come in a ton of colors, and pointy or round toes.

They are a bit expensive, but people say they are worth it. Oh and there are $20 off referral links everywhere. I can send you one if you decide to order some!
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby LizAnn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am

jennelled wrote:Has anyone tried Rothys? They're made out of recycled materials and machine washable! Or something like that. They're still stupid expensive, though.

See above... :laughing:
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jennelled » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:28 am

LizAnn wrote:
jennelled wrote:Has anyone tried Rothys? They're made out of recycled materials and machine washable! Or something like that. They're still stupid expensive, though.

Ha ha ha! Yes, please send me your referral link!
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby LizAnn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 am

jennelled wrote:
LizAnn wrote:

Ha ha ha! Yes, please send me your referral link!

Here it is in case anyone is interested! It should give you $20 off.

http://rothys.refr.cc/elizabethwarren
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Postby happeejen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 pm

I love my Tieks, I got the matte black so I can wear them with most things. It did take them awhile to break in but once they did I love them. I ran into a small problem with the sole just last weekend and I emailed customer service and they are going to re-sole them for me - yay!
happeejen
Level 8
Level 8

Postby *K » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:58 am

My Tieks are comfortable but I wouldn’t say they are structured. I mainly wear Tory Burch everyday but I have a pair of pink loafers from ON which are so comfortable! Otherwise, my flats are from gap and target and I wear them for years.
*K
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Carrie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Jennelle— I think your feminine style actually works in your favor for mules/loafers, because the rest of your look balances out the shoes. JMHO :)
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Carrie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:30 pm

durbaa wrote:

I wear flats just about every day. I want a pair of Tieks so bad, but just can't bring myself to do it yet. I think the big reason is every other pair that have elastic that I've tried, have not been comfortable. Does the elastic bother you at all?

I have a pair of patents and a pair of mattes. The patents took much longer to break-in, and the elastic around the top did bug me for the first several wears (but now fine). I did not have the same issue with the mattes, which are overall just more comfortable straight out of the box.
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Postby durbaa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 am

Carrie wrote:
durbaa wrote:

I have a pair of patents and a pair of mattes. The patents took much longer to break-in, and the elastic around the top did bug me for the first several wears (but now fine). I did not have the same issue with the mattes, which are overall just more comfortable straight out of the box.

Awesome, thanks!
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Next

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On