(Getting over) losing a pet

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

(Getting over) losing a pet

Postby Carrie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

My dog has been gone almost a month now, and I still can’t think about her without crying. Keeping this post short as tears yet again roll down my cheeks—

Anyone who has been through this who can share what the journey was like? I didn’t expect to be this raw a month in. I keep expecting her to be here, and thinking about how she should be, and it’s deveatating on a daily basis.

Ok the end :cry:
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Re: (Getting over) losing a pet

Postby durbaa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry! It's so hard losing a pet!

When our dog died, I was heartbroken. I think I still cried a lot thinking about him for a couple months. It really does get easier with time, but you just have to be easy with yourself. Now I can think about him or see pictures of him and not be sad, but he's been gone several years now. It is so hard, but it will get better. Hugs!
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby tebster616 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:19 am

I'm so sorry. My dog passed 5.5 years ago and it was one of the most difficult things for me. I got her when my parents were divorcing so I felt like she was my BFF and got me through a lot of difficult things in life. I remember crying when I thought of her (which was everyday!) for awhile. Slowly, as time went on when we would tell stories about her I would smile at the memory and not cry. I still think about her daily, I hung her ornament on the tree, my kids talk about her, she is very much still a part of our lives. Hang in there, one day you'll realize you are smiling when you think of him/her and there won't be tears.
tebster616
Level 7
Level 7

Postby LizAnn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am

I am so sorry! It took me quite a while to stop feeling incredibly sad when I lost my Maggie a few years ago.

Honestly, anytime I saw a dog that looked remotely like her I would burst into tears! It was awful. I think it just got better with time. I can't remember how long it took, and it was a slowly evolving process. We talk about her and laugh about her goofy antics now. Our pets are a huge part of our lives. Grieving after losing one is completely normal.

I am so sorry for your loss! I hope you start to feel better soon, but give yourself time.
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby Mary K » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:06 am

It's been a few years and I still cry sometimes for a few of the kitties that I've lost over the years. One I had for 20 years and another for just over a year, but we lost her unexpectedly so it was a shock to us. :sad11:

I know it may be different for everyone, but I always seem to feel better once I have a new pet to snuggle with. We were devastated when we lost our kitten Lucy at 14 months old from FIP. We waited until after our wedding (4 months), but we both knew we were ready. Then the day we came back from our honeymoon we went and adopted Bonnie & Clyde and they became like our children (before we had Joseph).
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On