Organization

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Organization

Postby durbaa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Our house looks like a Toys R Us that a bomb went off in. We have whole towns of little people, shapes from shape sorters, a feast of felt food and so many other toys. And they are overrunning the house. Help! How do you organize the chaos?

Here are some of the specifics:

*We currently don't have a play room and our little lady (15 months) plays in the living room.
*She has a kitchen that stores all the dishes/food/etc. but she feels the need to drag it all out every.single.day.
*We have several little people sets that she loves to play with, but same as the kitchen, she wants to drag it all out at once.
*She doesn't play with any one thing for too long of a time yet.

We've talked about rotating toys, but I'm not sure how much that will help. No matter what, the kitchen will stay and it's one of the things that has a ton of pieces. People who do this, how often do you rotate the toys? I feel bad taking some of things she love (little people) away, for something she might not play with as much. Then on the other hand, maybe she would play with that stuff more... :dontknow: I also feel like some of these toys won't be around for long because she's going to outgrow them soon, so packing them up for a period seems like a waste. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

When she was a baby it seemed like we had so much baby gear everywhere and that time was truly short lived in the grand scheme of things, is this just a phase we're in now too and I should just deal? I do feel like once she's a little older and can play in her room more, it won't be so bad since we'd be able to mostly move the toys in there.
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Re: Organization

Postby ctab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 pm

I would focus on decluttering first. If she doesn’t play with it much or at all get rid of it. Then look at decluttering what she does play with. My kids love kitchen play too, but we realized they had so much that they end up spreading a lot all over just to get to the items they really wanted. I found felt food (specifically the flat thin kind sold by Melissa and Doug) was just clutter. They loved the wood sets, and some of the appliance pretend toys more. We just got rid of half their kitchen toys, and they didn’t even notice. Same with little people. My kids loved them, but then everyone goes overboard buying them and we end up with clutter that reduces play. I would look at whether you can get rid of some sets/people she no longer plays with as much.

My kids are total dumpers so I get it. For us, especially with four kids, even with the dumping things stay manageable when we manage the amount of stuff. We literally just got rid of two bags of stuffed animals, and three big boxes of toys. They didn’t even notice, because they were so happy with having room to play and being able to access the toys they truly love.
Colleen

Ambrose

Bernadette

Michael

Baby 4
ctab
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby maygirl » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm

When we first got our play kitchen I got a 101 plastic food set and it was just clutter and way too much. Last year I got rid of half of it. I realized they really only play with the Melissa and Doug sets so I got rid of the rest of the plastic last month.
maygirl
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby MrsChad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:03 pm

:to_become_senile: Goodwill :blush:
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby LizAnn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am

Let me start off with, this is a struggle for us too! We let Jack dump out a basket, but he has to put it all back in before he gets a new one out. We have a cube organizer with nine openings that has storage bins, and then a few of the big plastic buckets from Target that hold things like VTech racetracks and little people sets.

For the play kitchen we have a few tubs/baskets that fit inside and all of the kitchen stuff has to go back away before he gets out his little people, or legos, or racetrack... Sometimes this doesn't work because he plays with things together, for example he will build a house for his little people out of his magformers... But we try!

Jack remembers ALL of his toys and legitimately plays with the majority of them. I would say he cycles through on his own pretty well so we don't rotate. We do have some toys in our "formal" living room (not so formal right now...) and then most in our family room. We always put together a tub of toys to donate and within a day he will be asking about one of them so that hasn't worked for us so far.

We started helping him put everything away around a year when I noticed that he always put his toys away when we picked him up at school. Now (at 3) he is much better about doing it on his own, but often still wants help.

We are working on getting our basement finished to move a lot of the toys down there, but there will always be toys in our living room and family room because we spend so much time in both places. When I get overwhelmed with it or we are having people over I will put a few of the larger buckets/bins in a closet. :)

I do think this time is limited. My niece and nephew don't even want toys for Christmas anymore, she wants clothes and makeup and he wants video games. :cry: At some point our houses won't be overrun with plastic, so I try to remind myself that I will be sad someday when I am not tripping over trucks... :laughing:
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby redroses » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 am

i have several clear storage containers. Can get shoebox size for 99 cents, and then some a little larger. Helps separate stuff with prieces, but they can still see what's inside to play with. Except when my son decides to dump several of them all out..
-Lisa

[url=http://lilypie.com]Image

[url=https://lilypie.com]Image
redroses
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On