What qualifies you for a position?

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

What qualifies you for a position?

Postby bride2009 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am

I work in the agriculture field, I didn't get into this field because I have a degree in it, I worked at a bank prior and hated it and wanted out so I started applying for positions in the administrative field and landed this job---10 years ago. My husband farms so this company and position just seemed to be perfect! I like this field because of that but I do not like working here for numerous reasons. I find myself being more aggravated and annoyed than enjoying coming here and it seems to have gotten worse. My position has changed a bit and I have fallen into a "marketing" role and honestly, I don't like it. I am not a seller, I do not have creative ideas and it has gotten to the point where at training meetings they are pushing photography, advertising, and I have no interest. My position is a "do-all" I do not have time to dedicate to just marketing our company because of all the other things I do.
Anyways, there is a position at a property management company, Administrative Manager, that I really would like to apply for. My husband and I own 3 rentals and manage those on our own and I know that doesn't make me an expert but this field interest me and I have even thought about getting my real estate license in the past. Would I be crazy to think I can apply for this position without having any actual professional work experience or schooling?
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Re: What qualifies you for a position?

Postby LizAnn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

It can't hurt to apply! It sounds like you have great experience that would apply toward the new position.

I would definitely highlight your rental experience in your cover letter too!
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby Carrie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 am

Ditto pp. Absolutely apply. Think about your transferable skills and experience that lend to this role, and tailor your resume accordingly.

In general, I think if you meet 70% of position requirements, you should be considered for the position.

Good luck!
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Postby jennelled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 am

Carrie wrote:Ditto pp. Absolutely apply. Think about your transferable skills and experience that lend to this role, and tailor your resume accordingly.

In general, I think if you meet 70% of position requirements, you should be considered for the position.

Good luck!

Yes, this!!

Even if you aren't at the 70% threshold, it doesn't hurt to apply. Worst case scenario, you don't get a call back!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby durbaa » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am

I say apply. But this is coming from someone who works in an investigations department that has an accounting degree. I think it's more about what skills you have that you would use in the new role.
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby bride2009 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Well, I applied! First time in years! I always talk about it and today I made it happen...finally! (It took me for.ev.er to write a cover letter)
I got a reply via email that they plan on choosing someone by Feb 15 and gave me a heads up that I will be getting several "test" that they would like for me to complete to better select the right candidate.
Guess I'll be completely them tonight. :good:
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Mary K » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Good luck! :)
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby LizAnn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:26 am

bride2009 wrote:Well, I applied! First time in years! I always talk about it and today I made it happen...finally! (It took me for.ev.er to write a cover letter)
I got a reply via email that they plan on choosing someone by Feb 15 and gave me a heads up that I will be getting several "test" that they would like for me to complete to better select the right candidate.
Guess I'll be completely them tonight. :good:

Awesome! Good luck!
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Postby *K » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 pm

I was just at a wonen’s Event today where they talked about how women think they need to meet about 8/10 items in a job whereas men think they only need to meet about 3/10!

I’m glad you applied and hope you hear good news!
*K
Level 15
Level 15

Postby k.linn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 am

*K wrote:I was just at a wonen’s Event today where they talked about how women think they need to meet about 8/10 items in a job whereas men think they only need to meet about 3/10!

That is so interesting! I think you never know if you don’t try. Good luck!
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, Hadley, and Malachi.
[url
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Postby cardinalkite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 pm

*K wrote:I was just at a wonen’s Event today where they talked about how women think they need to meet about 8/10 items in a job whereas men think they only need to meet about 3/10!

From personal experience, I would agree and it frustrates me because I do it to myself.

Way to go for putting yourself out there, it's so hard. I was working towards getting out of my industry but then life threw me some curve balls this past year and well, I just needed to put money in the bank. I working to get back to putting myself out there.

I'll be sending you all the good vibes! :good: :good: :good:
Danny: [after a boy goes missing at Yankee Stadium] This would've never happened at Shea.
Vivian: It's so sad how bitter Mets fans are.

-Without a Trace

http://www.leftturnyieldongreen.blogspot.com
cardinalkite
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Spring 2006

Postby bride2009 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 am

Thank you all for the good vibes!
I haven't heard anything back. I took the test and did not get 100% on any of them but I felt like some of the answers were more matter of opinion and couldn't believe I missed any when it brought me to my results. :dontknow:
I assume if I do not hear back, those mini-test are probably the reason why.
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Postby bride2009 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

The company I applied at sent me several questions via email yesterday. How do I reply? Do I do just that, reply, fill in my answers and send? Do I copy and paste and put the questions and answers in a different email? I am not familiar with this way of doing things.
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Postby LizAnn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

I would reply via reply e-mail. I think that is what they would expect. Just be sure to proofread your responses very carefully! If they numbered their questions, I would number your answers. If not, I would probably cut and paste the questions and then answer below each question.

Great news they are asking more questions! Sounds like they may be interested! :)
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jennelled » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 am

LizAnn wrote:I would reply via reply e-mail. I think that is what they would expect. Just be sure to proofread your responses very carefully! If they numbered their questions, I would number your answers. If not, I would probably cut and paste the questions and then answer below each question.

Great news they are asking more questions! Sounds like they may be interested! :)

Ditto!!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On