3rd row seating with 2 kids?

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

3rd row seating with 2 kids?

Postby redroses » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 am

DH needs to replace his CRV. I drive a smaller car (and would probably get a midsize car next). We have 2 kids (7 and 4) and won't have more. At first we thought to get 3rd row SUV, for in case we need to take kids friends and stuff. Went looking at and then we asked ourselves if that is a good enough reason for the extra money we'd spend. We do pick up my mom a lot as a family together, but it's just her so we fit now. And she has a van and lives close that we could potentially borrow if needed, but I don't know that she would love that.
Curious to hear from other 'no more than two kid' families if you've considered this (van or 3rd row vs. not) and thoughts or how you feel about your decision?
-Lisa

[url=http://lilypie.com]Image

[url=https://lilypie.com]Image
redroses
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: 3rd row seating with 2 kids?

Postby mrs.shea » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I’m interested in the responses. I’m due for a vehicle in a couple years when DH’s is paid off. I’m definitely going up to an SUV but not sure what size. It would be really nice if we had room for my parents/sister when they visit and not take two cars everywhere but that’s not often. We are running into other families wanting to trade off car pooling to sports and we can’t since we don’t have any large vehicles. Just not sure if that’s a justifiable reason either. I’ve always been anti mini-van but damn the space would be nice. (I can’t believe I just said that!)
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby *K » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm

My husband has an explorer with the third row. It’s generally down but I like having it as we do use it sometimes. I briefly considered also getting a 3-row SUV but that seemed a bit much. I do think we will likely always keep one vehicle with 3 rows now.
*K
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby neh0607 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I think if I had 2 kids I wouldn't consider a 3rd row but we had to with 3. I am glad we have it because of the carpooling we have done with my older two girls. Otherwise we would have been left out of the convenience of taking turns taking the girls to soccer. I'm in a 4 way carpool so I take my turn every 4th time and drive 4 girls to soccer. My two older girls are friends with sisters who are in each of their classes and several times we have brought them home from school with us for a playdate. I've also helped transport 1-2 additional girls for Girl Scout activities.

As someone else mentioned, having the extra space for roadtrips and vacations would be nice.

If you can afford it, I would do it. Especially if it is one of the options where the 3rd row collapses and you only pull it up when you need it.
~ Nora & Daryl ~ June 30, 2007 ~

neh0607
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby k.linn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

neh0607 wrote:I think if I had 2 kids I wouldn't consider a 3rd row but we had to with 3. I am glad we have it because of the carpooling we have done with my older two girls. Otherwise we would have been left out of the convenience of taking turns taking the girls to soccer. I'm in a 4 way carpool so I take my turn every 4th time and drive 4 girls to soccer. My two older girls are friends with sisters who are in each of their classes and several times we have brought them home from school with us for a playdate. I've also helped transport 1-2 additional girls for Girl Scout activities.

As someone else mentioned, having the extra space for roadtrips and vacations would be nice.

If you can afford it, I would do it. Especially if it is one of the options where the 3rd row collapses and you only pull it up when you need it.

This exactly. I never anticipated how much we’d end up carpooling, and it’s so convenient!
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, and Hadley.
Image Image Image
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Postby Mary K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

*K wrote:My husband has an explorer with the third row. It’s generally down but I like having it as we do use it sometimes. I briefly considered also getting a 3-row SUV but that seemed a bit much. I do think we will likely always keep one vehicle with 3 rows now.

My husband has an Explorer with 3rd row seating as well. We usually leave the 3rd row up and have the 2nd row seats folded forward because Joseph likes to ride all the way in the back. He's got quite the set up back there with plenty of places built in for his snacks/drinks, etc., and there is a plug in right behind him for his iPad. My only problem is that I'm too short to reach back there to help him buckle in without climbing all the way inside.
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby LizAnn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am

We have a Yukon XL. We use the third row fairly often, but we use the extra cargo space all the time! It is really nice to be able to pick up the cousins, or my mother-in-law and all ride together. We also drove to Gulf Shores with my mom, MIL and my son. We had plenty of cargo space even with 4 adults and a carseat in there.

We have a huge dog, so it is nice to be able to take him places without worrying about him being in the same area as the kids. I also anticipate there being quite a bit of carpooling to and from sports in the future, and it will be nice to be able to load up lots of kids and equipment.

Now that we have such a big car, I don't know how we survived without it! I drive an Equinox right now, but I will be upgrading to a Buick Enclave (I think) next time. I think the option for a third row will be so nice!
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On