Summer Vacation

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Summer Vacation

Postby LeMoNBaBy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:32 am

Anyone planning a summer vacation?! I'm tempted...but I can't decide.

We just reserved a weekend for Great Wolf Lodge in April- but nothing "summer" for us.

I was also thinking of trying "pack-up & go" for our 10th anniversary next September...again not a summer vacation....but something fun.

Any advice for either of these things?
LeMoNBaBy
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Summer Vacation

Postby jennelled » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am

Our vacation plans are a hot mess this year. :dontknow: We typically come back to StL every Thanksgiving, but skipped 2017 because of Corinne. We're currently debating going back over Spring Break, this summer (nooooooooo!), or waiting until Thanksgiving. I just want to make a decision!

We have zero plans for summer vacations. I feel like we should do SOMETHING, though! We can do a quick beach or mountain trip, but I feel like even the short ones end up being $2K.

For our big vacation, we just booked the Polynesian for the week of Corinne's birthday in September. :yahoo: Super pumped! I'm thrilled to stay on the monorail. My first choice was Grand Floridian (#duh), but Audrey was adamantly against it and desperately wanted the Contemporary. I have no idea why, lol - but we couldn't stay in the main building because there are five of us so I ruled out that one, too. I thought the Polynesian was super kitschy when we had breakfast at Ohana, but as someone pointed out, Disney is pretty damn kitschy so I should just embrace it. :)

We did GWL here for Clara's birthday last year. I don't think ours is as neat as the one in KC, and I was uncomfortably pregnant and stuck in the baby area with Clara so I didn't think it was awesome, but the kids loved it and ask to go back all the time!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby jennelled » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 am

Oh, and I kind of expect to have to go back to StL at some point for a funeral or two, and apparently Matt's cousin is getting married this summer so maybe we'll go back then? This is why we can't decide.

And our ten year is this year, but we aren't going away just us because I'm still BFing and the logistics are difficult. Hopefully next year! Or a short trip this fall. (Our anniversary is in June.)
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby LizAnn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 am

I have a girls trip planned in July and my husband has a bachelor party in Colorado. Other than that we have no plans yet!

My husband really wants to plan a beach vacation, but my job is a little strange at this point, so I am tempted to just push it off a year. We also put a pool in, so I think if anything a stay-cation would be a better idea! Like Jennelle said, even a quick trip ends up being $2k.

Two years ago we decided to go very last minute and I e-mailed a few vacation rentals that were still available. We got an incredible deal! Maybe I will try the same thing this year... :)
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby durbaa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:30 am

Last year we did a stay-cation and did a bunch of stuff around STL. That was the first time we've ever done it and had an absolute blast! We are talking about doing the same thing this year, and going to different places. During that week I wouldn't mind going to Great Wolf Lodge for a couple days, but we'll see.

Another thing on the table is Florida, we have family that has a condo so that's a good option.

Also, I have a chance to go to a class for work and stay on Disney property. My boss was nudging me to go and bring DD and DH because it would be a huge savings for us. I'm tempted but then I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not. We would be able to go to Disney in the evenings (or DH could take DD during the day and I could meet up with them when class was out) and if we extended the trip past the work part of it, we could go another 2 or 3 days. But this would mean paying for flights for DD and DH, a few nights in the hotel and Disney tickets (although those would be greatly discounted). I would normally jump on it, but it would be in early December and DD will only be 2....people who have done Disney before, would you do it?
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby jennelled » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am

durbaa wrote:Also, I have a chance to go to a class for work and stay on Disney property. My boss was nudging me to go and bring DD and DH because it would be a huge savings for us. I'm tempted but then I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not. We would be able to go to Disney in the evenings (or DH could take DD during the day and I could meet up with them when class was out) and if we extended the trip past the work part of it, we could go another 2 or 3 days. But this would mean paying for flights for DD and DH, a few nights in the hotel and Disney tickets (although those would be greatly discounted). I would normally jump on it, but it would be in early December and DD will only be 2....people who have done Disney before, would you do it?

Yes! Absolutely! Book it now! Clara had just turned two the first time we went, and she absolutely loved it.
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby Beth&Bobby5308 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 pm

durbaa wrote:Last year we did a stay-cation and did a bunch of stuff around STL. That was the first time we've ever done it and had an absolute blast! We are talking about doing the same thing this year, and going to different places. During that week I wouldn't mind going to Great Wolf Lodge for a couple days, but we'll see.

Another thing on the table is Florida, we have family that has a condo so that's a good option.

Also, I have a chance to go to a class for work and stay on Disney property. My boss was nudging me to go and bring DD and DH because it would be a huge savings for us. I'm tempted but then I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not. We would be able to go to Disney in the evenings (or DH could take DD during the day and I could meet up with them when class was out) and if we extended the trip past the work part of it, we could go another 2 or 3 days. But this would mean paying for flights for DD and DH, a few nights in the hotel and Disney tickets (although those would be greatly discounted). I would normally jump on it, but it would be in early December and DD will only be 2....people who have done Disney before, would you do it?

In a heartbeat!! Go. You won't regret it. Totally jealous.
Beth&Bobby5308
Level 4
Level 4

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby neh0607 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

LeMoNBaBy wrote:Anyone planning a summer vacation?! I'm tempted...but I can't decide.

We just reserved a weekend for Great Wolf Lodge in April- but nothing "summer" for us.

I was also thinking of trying "pack-up & go" for our 10th anniversary next September...again not a summer vacation....but something fun.

Any advice for either of these things?

We are going to GWL in April too for 2 nights during the girls spring break.

We also booked a condo in Panama City Beach for one week at the end of June! While I loved our Disney trip last year and encourage anyone debating to just do it, I am really looking forward to a laid back beach vacation this summer!
~ Nora & Daryl ~ June 30, 2007 ~

neh0607
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby Erin&Ben08 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm

We shouldn’t have spent the money, but we decided to splurge a little. We are going to Belize the end of May for our 10 year anniversary.
I’d like to go somewhere for a weekend with the kids. I’ve been thinking about taking the train to Chicago for a weekend. DH wants to do holiday world in Indiana. Itll probably be a last minute decision.

Erin&Ben08
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby Jacoby2Seelen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm

You know what sucks, when your in-laws live so far away, that your "Summer Vacation" involves a trip with them. :laughing:

But, this year, instead of going to the East Coast for "Summer Vacation", we are going to the West Coast. That is the talk right now at least. DH's SIL lives in Vancouver, so there is talk of renting a home somewhere up there and going there for about a week. More than likely right around 4th of July. That way, khoury league baseball is over (DH is a coach), and before he goes back to school. Sometimes for "Summer Vacation" I am "not able to get out of work for too long", so I let him go ahead for a few days and then come for a long weekend. :laughing:

This past Summer we went to Ocean City, MD for a few days, and the only other person able to go was MIL. So, that was nice, and not too bad. This year though, there is talk of everyone going (2 SILs and one BIL and all their spouses). So, should be interesting. WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

So, I put "Summer Vacation" in quotes because it is never a "Vacation" for me. Always tension and always stressful, and even moreso now that we were told over a year ago that one of his Sisters didn't want to have anything to do with us. :banghead: I can't wait. 8-[
Trisha and Ric
November 12, 2005

Jacoby2Seelen
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall

Postby jjwgal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

We are going to the Lake of the Ozarks for a long weekend for Spring Break in March. Hopefully it will be warm enough to take our boat out. :beg:

We are then heading to Branson for a long weekend w/ my parents in June. Hitting Silver Dollar City one day and then enjoying the resort and all its amenities it has to offer for the rest of our time there.

Another long weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks in August to close out Summer.

Then in September we are planning week long trip just the two of us for our 10 year wedding anniversary (which is actually in November). Currently working with SIL in finding a place to go. Most likely an all inclusive somewhere.
Christine & Jeff ~ 11.08.08
William Robert ~ 06.30.11

jjwgal
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby k.linn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Beth&Bobby5308 wrote:
durbaa wrote:Last year we did a stay-cation and did a bunch of stuff around STL. That was the first time we've ever done it and had an absolute blast! We are talking about doing the same thing this year, and going to different places. During that week I wouldn't mind going to Great Wolf Lodge for a couple days, but we'll see.

In a heartbeat!! Go. You won't regret it. Totally jealous.
Go! I won a teaching award when my oldest was 1 and my work paid for me to go to the awards ceremony (at Disney world). DH and DD went and it was awesome. I had some conference things during the day and then through the program we bought 4pm-close tickets that were crazy cheap. Oh, and we went at the end of December. Disney decorated for Christmas is amazing!
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, Hadley, and Malachi.
[url
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Postby *K » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm

No summer trips but I’m excited for our spring and fall plans. We are going to Zion National Park in April and running a half. It’s goung to be our 10 year anniversary trip. I’m also hoping we can do Disney in the fall. I’m concerned about taking Harper out of school for it but I just don’t think a summer trip to Disney is possible (I’m concerned about passing g out from the heat!).
*K
Level 15
Level 15

Postby LMC2008 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm

We go to Destin every summer with my family and it is just so amazing! So kid friendly and so much fun!!! We are heading to Branson for spring break and it's definitely another fun option!!! Kansas City is also a blast!

Lauren & Mike- August 31, 2008
Ethan Michael- May 14, 2011
William Michael- February 17, 2014
LMC2008
Level 18
Level 18

Postby coree730 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 am

We are Disney Fanatics. We have been 3 times in the past 3 years and we just got back this past Saturday from Disney . Yes, I would never pass up a trip to DW! CC was 2 when she went for the 1st time and it was absolutely magical for her and us. Disney in December is awesome! The weather is great and the decor is beautiful. Do it!!!

coree730
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On