The Death of Clothing

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

The Death of Clothing

Postby jennelled » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 am

Interesting article: The Death of Clothing

What do you guys think? Do you buy fewer clothes now than you used to? Do you have differentiation between your work and weekend wardrobes?
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: The Death of Clothing

Postby k.linn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

I definitely do less in store shopping, which my husband haaaates and griped at me about (we have a commercial construction company and rely on brick and mortar retail stores being built/needing updating). It is a little unnerving to think about in terms of long-term impact. I can’t speak much to the workplace shift as my building doesn’t really have a dress code, but even since my husband started working his dress for formal meetings is very much relaxed and he really only needs one decent suit, so we both do have one main wardrobe.
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, and Hadley.
Image Image Image
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Postby LeMoNBaBy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

Maybe we don't have the $$ to spend on clothing anymore because it is being used on all the technology....

And I like cheap amazon finds ;)
LeMoNBaBy
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby LizAnn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 am

I definitely have a work clothes and then casual clothes, but the lines do blur a bit.

I also find I may spend less on clothes, but I am trying to buy fewer high quality pieces. I don't have time to go shopping anymore, and if I do have extra time, I don't want to spend it shopping...

I think overall it is good if people are valuing experiences over material things.
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby maygirl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 am

As a SAHM, I am definitely not spending a lot of money on clothes. Even when I did work, our office was very casual and we wore jeans everyday. My husband office transitioned to jeans on Fridays during the summer, to jeans on Fridays year round, and now to jeans everyday. Before that they were business casual. There has definitely been a shift over the past couple of decades. Also, the mall used to be a destination and an activity. Now shopping is seen more as a burden then a hobby.
maygirl
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby ctab » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 am

I don’t buy a lot of clothing. But, a lot of it for me is that I have trouble finding clothing that isn’t thin and cheap looking. It started to get so frustrating finding that even middle of the road stores (I am looking at you gap) that used to carry clothing that was a step up in quality now carry the same thin crappy shirts, but they still want me to pay Gap prices for it. I hate that almost every shirt I own now has to have a tank underneath it so you can’t see bra lines and such.

I think it is so easy to blame online retailers for everything, but they also need to look at the quality of product they are selling.
Colleen

Ambrose

Bernadette

Michael

Baby 4
ctab
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby Mary K » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am

ctab wrote:I don’t buy a lot of clothing. But, a lot of it for me is that I have trouble finding clothing that isn’t thin and cheap looking. It started to get so frustrating finding that even middle of the road stores (I am looking at you gap) that used to carry clothing that was a step up in quality now carry the same thin crappy shirts, but they still want me to pay Gap prices for it. I hate that almost every shirt I own now has to have a tank underneath it so you can’t see bra lines and such.

I think it is so easy to blame online retailers for everything, but they also need to look at the quality of product they are selling.

I agree with this. It also drives me crazy the way so many stores have inflated their retail prices just so they can offer the items "on sale" all the time. It's almost like a game to trick people into thinking they're getting a great deal on something when they're probably paying what the actual price should be.

I am very hesitant to buy clothes online for myself because everything fits so differently and I have to try everything on. I just don't have the free time to go shopping at as many different places anymore. It's frustrating.
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby *K » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:19 pm

I buy more. Maybe it’s just my stage in life but travel and experiences aren’t at the top of my list because it’s too hard with kids. I still need two wardrobes but it’s less work stuff because I work from Home one day per week and have jeans day once per week. I still shop in store often but online more and more. However, I generally only buy online if I can return in store. I’m not a fan of online only.
*K
Level 15
Level 15

Postby LMC2008 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Now that I'm home, I feel like all of my clothes are just comfy/casual- yoga pants/leggings with longer tunics. I've donated/sold SO much stuff, and my goal is to get down to a small capsule wardrobe...I just don't need much!

Lauren & Mike- August 31, 2008
Ethan Michael- May 14, 2011
William Michael- February 17, 2014
LMC2008
Level 18
Level 18

Postby MrsChad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 am

I don't buy much and what I do buy is second hand. I've been working on a minimalist wardrobe for awhile now and I am almost to a happy place. It is so much easier now when I am out to say, "I am really in need of a long sleeve sweater, it needs to be this color and this style so that it can pair with these three pairs of pants." I know I went to the mall in 2016 because I let the kids play in the indoor area. However, I don't think we ever went to the mall in 2017. Maybe at Christmas...I'm not sure. Either way, my shopping has much less than it used to be. Groceries and Lowes, however, I can't make the same claim. :laughing:
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On