Tell me about dog fostering

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Tell me about dog fostering

Postby Carrie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

There is still such a huge hole in my heart from when my dog passed away in November. Anyway...

Since I don’t want to get another dog in this house, I’m wondering if I might consider fostering. I’m not sure if it would work out and we might be bad candidates— with 2 small kids and another, older dog. If we did foster, I’d want to foster chihuahuas.

Tell me about your experiences?
Carrie
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Re: Tell me about dog fostering

Postby LizAnn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I have not fostered, but I know several people who have. I will say two people I know who foster ended up adopting one or two of their fosters. It worked out perfectly for them, but I know that wasn't their initial plan.

I would contact a rescue and see if they have specific requirements. I think Stray Rescue provides everything for the dog, and you just take care of it. I would imagine they would prefer you to foster puppies or mellow dogs since you have two young kids, but I am sure they take the time to match the dog to the foster family. One thing that my cousin mentioned when she was fostering was that she had to meet with potential adoptive families and it was a bit of a time commitment.

My husband and I consider it often, but ultimately know that we would likely end up adopting unless it was a very short term placement. This is the same reason we can't go to Pet's Mart on Saturdays!
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On